Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hester sympathizes with Dimmesdale

The Scarlet Letter By: Nathaniel Hawthorne
Page 133

"... answered she. "But let it pass! It is yonder miserable man that I would speak."
"And what of him?" cried Roger Chillingworth eargerly, as if he loved the topic, and were glad of an opportunity to discuss it with the only person of whom he could make a confidant. "Not to hide truth, Mistress Hester, my thoughts just happen to be busy with the gentleman. So speak freely; and I will make answer."
"When we spake together," said Hester, "now seven years ago, it was your pleasure to extort a promise of secrecy, as touching the former relation betwixt yourself and me. As the life and good fame of yonder man were in your hands, there seemed no choice to me, save to be silent, in accordance with your behest. Yet it was hot without heavy misgivings that i thus bound myself; for, in having cast off all duty towards other human beings, there remained a duty towards him; and something whispered to me that I was betraying it, in pledging myself to keep your counsel."

In this section we see a profound concern of human nature. Despite the suffering of Hester, she still feels sympathy for Dimmesdale and feels she owes him the truth. She sees the pain her former husband is putting him through and wishes she could stop this pain. This shows an natural impulse that verifies the idea that everyone has a conscience and guilt can make people act.

No comments:

Post a Comment